Below is a list of some of the key items
that you will need to bring with you to New York.
1. Plan of action for your stay - This document should detail your "to do"
list and schedules for interviews and other events.
2. Your personal calendar
3. Interview supplies
4. Information about all the investment banks that you are
interviewing with and contacting.
5. Your 3-ring binder containing cover letters and resumes you have sent out during your
6. Disk of computer documents pertaining to your job search, such as cover letters and
7. Office supplies - scissors, tape, stapler, pens, pencils, paper clips, sticky labels
for map, postage stamps, staples, 100% cotton white paper, envelopes of the same quality,
and normal quality envelopes.
8. Backpack - Backpacks are good to use for running errands, like when you are doing work
between your interviews. Be aware of your surroundings when wearing a backpack, though.
Someone could unzip it and steal something (signs in NYC warn about this).
9. Calling card - Use it for long distance calls at the hotel; 30 minutes is probably
10. $1's, $5's, $10's, and some $20's - You will use a lot of small bills.
11. A ten-dollar roll of quarters - It is handy to have quarters for buses, telephones,
12. Alarm clock
13. Maps of New York and the locations of places you need to
14. Airline tickets and hotel reservation numbers
15. Eye Drops - Use eye drops on sensitive eyes to avoid having red eyes. Diesel exhaust
from buses in small streets and dust can irritate your eyes. It is just one less thing to
16. Glasses and/or contact lenses supplies
17. Snacks and drinks for the hotel - Just bring enough to hold you over until you can go
18. Plastic bowl and spoon - Use these items for cereal if you have a refrigerator to
19. Umbrella - A sturdy umbrella must be able to withstand strong winds. Umbrellas tend to
be aggravating to use in New York though.
20. Long trench coat and water-resistant gloves - You should buy these before going to New
York because they are cheaper in Alabama.
1. Typewriter - Be sure to include extra ink and correction ribbons.
2. Fax machine - Be sure to include a length of phone line.
Copyright 1998-2000 by Jonathan Sides
Please read the disclaimer
for this site.
The information on this site is free and no one will
charge for it.